Las Notis is a daily news column that gets you up to speed on the political, media + other goings-on in the United States, Latin America, and the diaspora—all in one quick digest.
Here’s your glimpse at what’s going on today:
- Last night (Sept. 29) marked the first presidential debate between Joe Biden and Donald Trump, characterized by several commentators as “chaotic” and “messy” as Trump constantly interrupted and spoke over Biden, while Biden told him to “shut up” at one point. Trump also refused to condemn white supremacist and right-wing extremist groups, instead saying that the Proud Boys should “stand back and stand by.” [NYT]
- Twenty-one people died in ICE custody, a number that’s more than double what it was in 2019 and the highest it’s been in 15 years. More than a third of those who died had tested positive for COVID-19, including a 61-year-old man from Mexico who passed away in Georgia last week. [CNN]
- As schools in big cities such as New York start to reopen for in-class learning, new data shows that children now represent 10% of COVID-19 cases in the U.S., compared to just 2% in April. The numbers come just a week after Trump said at a rally that the virus “affects virtually no one” and insisted that elderly people are the ones at risk. [USA Today]
- The Collectivo Intercultural TRANSgrediendo (CITGNY) and other local trans community organizations gathered for the third iteration of Marcha de Lxs Putxs (SlutWalk), an annual protest aimed at decriminalizing sex work, ending rape cultures, and defending women’s rights. The event took place this year at Diversity Plaza in Jackson Heights, Queens.[Latino Rebels]
- Bad Bunny’s anticipated collaboration with Crocs sold out within minutes, much to the chagrin of fans who had been waiting online. The limited-edition Crocs are available only on some resale websites for marked-up prices. [Mitu]
- AOC responded to a tweet from former Trump official Kellyanne Conway, implying that Biden was being dishonest in the debate when he said he didn’t support the Green New Deal (Biden put together a task force to come up with his own plan.) “This isn’t news, Kellyanne,” AOC tweeted. “Our differences are exactly why I joined Biden’s Climate Unity Task Force – so we could set aside our differences & figure out an aggressive climate plan to address the planetary crisis at our feet. Trump doesn’t even believe climate change is real.” [Twitter]