Las Notis is a daily news column that gets you up to speed on the political, media + other going ons in Latin America and the diaspora—all in one quick digest.
Here’s your glimpse at what’s going on today:
- Donald Trump shared that he and Melania Trump have tested positive for Covid-19. The news came after the media reported that his adviser Hope Hicks, who was with him at several events this week and flew alongside his team on Air Force 1, had also tested positive. Joe Biden and Kamala Harris issued statements on Twitter, wishing him and his wife a quick recovery.
- A tape has emerged of Melania Trump discussing criticism she’s faced as a result of her husband’s immigration policy of separating children from their families at the border. As part of a book written by Stephanie Winston Wolkoff, Melania is on record saying, “I’m working my ass off [doing] Christmas stuff. Who gives f*ck about Christmas stuff and decoration? But I need to do it, right?… OK, and then I do it and I say that I’m working on Christmas planning… and they said, ‘Oh, what about the children that were separated?’ Give me a fucking break.” [HuffPo]
- As a caravan of migrants from Honduras set out hoping to reach the U.S., Guatemalan President Alejandro Giammattei announced he plans to stop it and send individuals back, citing the risk of coronavirus. “The order has been given to detain all those who entered illegally, and return them to the border of their country,” Giammattei said in a broadcast address. [Associated Press]
- Panama plans to reopen its borders and start receiving international visitors on Oct. 12. Several new precautions have been put in place: Travelers must show negative COVID-19 test results, taken within 48 hours of arrival, and anyone who’s test results are from longer than the 48-hour window will have to take a rapid test at the airport for about $30. [Travel + Leisure]
- After being one of the regions hit hardest by coronavirus, Latin America’s infection numbers seem to be decreasing. More than 300,000 people have died and economies have taken a beating, but areas such as Brazil and Colombia are seeing a slowdown of about 40% since this summer. [WSJ]
- Cardi B posted a series of Instagram videos directed at Joe Biden after the presidential debate on Tuesday, instructing him to “get fuckin’ spicy” and “get aggressive” as a way to combat Trump’s constant interruptions and hectoring. “Don’t let this man pick on you. He just wanna do a show. So you gonna give him a show. Give him a show!” she said “This is your time to shine, Joe! Kamala Harris, she used to get spicy in the debates. You better get spicy!” [Mitu]