Las Notis is a daily news column that gets you up to speed on the political, media + other going ons in Latin America and the diaspora—all in one quick digest.
- Here’s your glimpse at what’s going on today:
- Joe Biden has his aims set on healthcare this week as he solidifies new executive orders that would reopen Affordable Care Act marketplaces and re-examine Trump policies that limited protections of people with pre-existing medical conditions. He also plans overturn Trump restrictions on using taxpayer dollars on programs to increase abortion access in the U.S. and overseas. [NYT]
- Weeks after armed pro-Trump rioters stormed the Capitol, D.C. Capitol Police have arrested a West Virginia man parked outside the American Veterans Disabled for Life Memorial with a black .9mm Sig Sauer handgun and 20 rounds of ammunition. The man, who is in his seventies, was charged with carrying a pistol without a license, possession of unregistered ammunition and unlawful possession of a firearm. [CNN]
- Joaquin Castro is asking Biden to allow DACA recipients to get health care coverage through the Affordable Care Act. In a letter signed by 93 other House members, Castro pointed out that more than 200,000 DACA recipients are working on the frontlines of the pandemic as essential workers. [NBC Latino]
- The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) said it is placing alcohol-based hand sanitizers imported from Mexico on a countrywide “import alert” until it is able to review their safety. Regulators have warned that the sanitizers might contain dangerous levels of toxic ingredients. [BBC]
- After AOC tweeted that the investing app Robinhood’s decision to block individual users from freely trading GameStop stock was “unacceptable,” Ted Cruz retweeted her and wrote that he “fully agreed” with her. However, AOC quickly called him out for his role inciting violence form pro-Trump rioters by claiming voter fraud and refusing to certify Biden’s election results. “I am happy to work with Republicans on this issue where there’s common ground, but you almost had me murdered 3 weeks ago so you can sit this one out,” she wrote. “Happy to work w/ almost any other GOP that aren’t trying to get me killed. In the meantime if you want to help, you can resign.” [Yahoo]