Las Notis is a daily news column that gets you up to speed on the political, media + other going ons in Latin America and the diaspora—all in one quick digest.
Here’s your glimpse at what’s going on today:
- Members of Congress and government officials are discussing invoking the 25th Amendment to impeach Donald Trump and remove him from office before his term is up on January 20. This reportedly comes after he incited a violent mob that took over the Capitol building on Wednesday. Several aides, including Melania Trump’s chief of staff and social secretary, have resigned. [WaPo]
- Despite the chaos at the Capitol, Congress certified President-elect Joe Biden’s victory on Wednesday night. Trump issued a statement saying there would be an “orderly transition” when Biden is inaugurated on Jan. 20. [NYT]
- In an event in Delaware, Joe Biden slammed pro-Trump rioters who mobbed the U.S. Capitol. “They weren’t protesters, don’t dare call them protesters,” he said. “They were a riotous mob, insurrectionists, domestic terrorists. It’s that basic, it’s that simple.” [NBC]
- A report, published on Wednesday by Human Rights Watch, condemns Trump’s “remain-in-Mexico” immigration policy as “needlessly and foreseeably exposed [asylum seekers] to considerable risk of serious harm.” The policy stipulates that asylum seekers must wait for their court hearings in Mexico instead of being allowed into the U.S., something that has created unsafe conditions for them and exposed them to sexual violence, assault, and other crimes in border regions. [Guardian]
- Women in Brazil are going to Argentina for access to abortion rights they can’t get at home. Argentina passed landmark legislation legalizing abortion last month, while abortion remains a crime in Brazil, unless it falls into specific categories. [AP]
- AOC called for Senators Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley to resign after peddling baseless conspiracy theories and refusing to certify Joe Biden’s electoral count, all which helped incite pro-Trump insurrectionists. “Sen. Cruz, you must accept responsibility for how your craven, self-serving actions contributed to the deaths of four people yesterday. And how you fundraised off this riot,” she wrote. “Both you and Senator Hawley must resign. If you do not, the Senate should move for your expulsion.” [Twitter]