Las Notis is a daily news column that gets you up to speed on the political, media + other goings-on in the United States, Latin America, and the diaspora—all in one quick digest.
Here’s your glimpse at what’s going on today:
- The Supreme Court has agreed to review two big pieces of the Trump administration’s immigration policy. On Monday, it announced that it would examine the “remain in Mexico” initiative, which has kept at least 60,000 asylum seekers primarily from Central America waiting in Mexico with few resources until the U.S. can hear their case, and the diversion of $2.5 billion from the Pentagon to build a barrier at the southwestern border. [NYT]
- The Congressional Hispanic Caucus wants answers after the Trump administration ramped up ICE arrests in nine states over the last few weeks, particularly at a time when Coronavirus outbreaks have been prevalent in crowded detention centers. More than 200 immigrants have been taken into ICE custody in California, North Carolina, and Illinois alone. [NBC Latino]
- Scientists in Peru have discovered the figure of a cat in the Nasca desert that they believe was created by making depressions in the desert floor. The area is known for its geoglyphs, which include other animals, but the cat had gone unnoticed. Scientists realized it was there while new plans were drawn up for a path leading to an observation platform. [BBC]
- After the death of many indigenous leaders in Colombia, more than 6,000 indigenous people set out on a march that ended in Bogota to speak out against increased violence in their communities. Arriving at Colombia’s presidential palace on Monday, the protests urged a meeting with President Iván Duque, whose government they say has ignored the violence. [Yahoo News]
- Francia Raísa broke down in tears in an Instagram story in which she explained her car was boxed in while she was driving on the 405 and ended up in the middle of a Trump rally. She shared that Trump supporters harassed her and laughed at her, putting her in danger. “They were just being so violent and I could have crashed, I could have f*cking crashed. It was so dangerous and I just don’t understand why that’s the country that y’all are supposedly wanting right now. Really? That’s what makes America great? Really? That’s f*cked up, I could have f*cking died right now. That was so f*cking dangerous. Pointing at me and laughing at a Mexican. Oh god, that was really f*cking scary.” [Cosmopolitan]