CineInforme is a weekly film and television news column that keeps you up-to-date on the Latinx stories happening on the big and small screens. From casting choices to studio briefs in Hollywood and beyond, CineInforme is your one-stop-shop for film and TV updates. Swing by every Friday to make sure you don’t miss the latest happenings.
Here’s your glimpse at what’s going on this week:
- One Day at a Time is looking for its third home in four seasons. The Norman Lear-produced family sitcom was canceled by ViacomCBS and will no longer air on the network. The show, which features a Cuban-American family, was picked up by PopTV last year when Netflix pulled the plug after three seasons. Sony Pictures Television is currently searching for another network that will give the series new life for a fifth season. [Entertainment Weekly]
- Universal Pictures has postponed the release of its female-driven action movie The 355. Instead of opening on Jan. 15, 2021 as first reported, the heist flick will now premiere a year later on Jan. 14, 2022. The 355 stars Oscar-winning Kenyan-Mexican actress Lupita Nyong’o (12 Years a Slave) and Oscar-winning Spanish actress Penélope Cruz (Vicky Cristina Barcelona), who will play a Colombian psychologist. [Hollywood Reporter]
- The 29th season of Dancing with the Stars has come to an end and Puerto Rican actress Justina Machado (One Day at a Time) has a lot to be proud of. Machado and her dance partner Sasha Farber came in fourth place. During the season finale, Machado and Farber earned perfect scores for their cha-cha routine to “Respect” by Aretha Franklin and a freestyle mix to “Let’s Get Loud” by Jennifer Lopez and “Bamboleo” by the Gipsy Kings. Former Bachelorette Kaitlyn Bristowe and her dance partner Artem Chigvintsev were voted this season’s winners. [Variety]
- Netflix released a video of J.Lo. commenting on how excited she was when she heard about Selena: The Series. She called her time playing the Queen of Tejano in the 1997 biopic Selena “a landmark moment in my career” and hoped the new series would allow a new “generation to get to know Selena.” Actress Christian Serratos portrays Selena in the upcoming Netflix series. [Entertainment Weekly]
- Two new sci-fi trailers recently hit the Internet and both feature Oscar-nominated Mexican-American actor Demián Bichir (A Better Life). The first is for the film Chaos Walking, which stars Bichir as the adoptive father of a boy living on a distant planet where all the women have disappeared. The second film, The Midnight Sky, places Bichir in space as an astronaut who is being warned not to return to Earth because of a global catastrophe. The latter film is directed by George Clooney, who also has a starring role in it. [Hollywood Reporter & Variety]