CineInforme is a weekly film and television news column that keeps you up to date on the Latinx stories happening on the big and small screens. From casting choices to studio briefs in Hollywood and beyond, CineInforme is your one-stop-shop for film and TV updates. Swing by every Friday to make sure you don’t miss the latest happenings.
Here’s your glimpse at what’s going on:
- Alanna Ubach (Coco) has been cast to voice a new monster character in the upcoming Disney+ series Monsters at Work. The series picks up the day after 2001’s Monster Inc. when the monsters discover that the laughter of children is more powerful than their screams. Ubach reportedly plays an “officious rule follower” on the new show. [Slash Film]
- Jacob Vargas (Selena) will star in director Steven Soderbergh’s upcoming film KIMI. Plot details are not currently available, but this would reunite Vargas with the filmmaker for the first time since they worked together on the 2000 Oscar-winning drama Traffic. [Deadline]
- Oscar-nominated filmmaker and environmentalist Fernando Meirelles (City of God) is working on helping produce four environmental film projects. He will direct one of the documentaries, Soil. “There is nothing more urgent than the climate crisis,” he told Deadline. “Our goal is to make films that not only inform, but that enchant and engage.” [Deadline]
- Luis Guzmán (Boogie Nights) joins the cast of The Birthday Cake. The film is a mob drama starring Ewan McGregor, Val Kilmer, Wililam Fichtner and Lorraine Bracco. The film follows a man who is tasked to bring a cake to the home of his mob boss uncle for a birthday celebration. But then murder and mayhem ensues. [Deadline]
- Diego Calva (TV’s Unstoppable) has landed a role in director Damien Chazelle’s (La La Land) new film Babylon. He joins a cast that includes Brad Pitt and Margot Robbie. The film takes place in Hollywood during the time when silent pictures were being replaced by talkies. [Deadline]