CineInforme is a weekly film and television news column that keeps you up to date on the Latinx stories happening on the big and small screens. From casting choices to studio briefs in Hollywood and beyond, CineInforme is your one-stop-shop for film and TV updates. Swing by every Friday to make sure you don’t miss the latest happenings. Because of the holiday, we’re coming to you a bit early this week.
Here’s your glimpse at what’s going on:
- Anya Taylor-Joy (TV The Queen’s Gambit) and Zoe Saldaña (Guardians of the Galaxy) are part of the star-studded ensemble of David O. Russell’s forthcoming feature. Not much is known about the film, but joining Taylor-Joy and Saldaña on the movie set will be Robert De Niro, Chris Rock, Christian Bale, Margot Robbie and Rami Malek. [Deadline]
- Aubrey Plaza (Child’s Play) has joined the cast of director Guy Ritchie’s (Aladdin) new spy thriller Five Eyes. The film stars Jason Statham as a secret agent on a mission to track down a weapons technology system. Production is currently taking place in Qatar and will soon move to Turkey. [The Hollywood Reporter]
- Michael Peña (Ant-man) is replacing actor Stanley Tucci (Spotlight) in Moonfall, an upcoming sci-fi movie from director Roland Emmerich (Independence Day). Peña will play a wealthy car dealer in the film, which centers around an apocalyptic event. In this Emmerich disaster flick, apparently the moon is on a collision course with the Earth. Also in the cast is Halle Berry, Patrick Wilson and Donald Sutherland. [Slash Film]
- Identifying Features, directed by Fernanda Valadez and written by Valadez and Astrid Rondero, just won Best International Feature IFP Gotham Awards. The film follows Magdalena (Mercedes Hernandez), a Mexican mother who has lost contact with her son after he crosses the border into the U.S. to look for work. [Deadline]
- Génesis Rodriguez is joining the third season of the Netflix series The Umbrella Academy. The new season will introduce audiences to members of the Sparrow Academy, an alternative version of the title superheroes. Rodriguez will play one of the Sparrows, Sloane, “a romantic and a dreamer who feels a higher cosmic calling.” [Entertainment Weekly]