CineInforme is a weekly film and television news column that keeps you up to date on the Latinx stories happening on the big and small screens. From casting choices to studio briefs in Hollywood and beyond, CineInforme is your one-stop-shop for film and TV updates. Swing by every Friday to make sure you don’t miss the latest happenings. Because of the holiday, we’re coming to you a bit early this week.
Here’s your glimpse at what’s going on:
- Mexican actor Eduardo Minett, who is best known for the Spanish-language telenovelas Como dice el dicho and La rosa de Guadalupe, will star opposite Oscar-winning director Clint Eastwood in his upcoming film Cry Macho. Eastwood stars as a washed-up rodeo star who is entrusted to bring a young boy home across rural Mexico. [Deadline]
- The studio behind such films as Happy Death Day and Freaky has acquired the rights to the New York Times’ story about Miriam Rodriguez, the Mexican mother who tracked down the cartel members who abducted and killed her daughter. Rodriguez, who went on to become an outspoken human rights activist, was murdered herself in 2017. [Variety]
- A new comedy series starring Al Madrigal (Night School) and Jaime Camil (TV’s Jane the Virgin) is in the works at ABC. The show follows an oil company expert who is kidnapped in South America by a group of inept guerrilla soldiers. [Variety]
- New York Christmas Wedding, a holiday romantic drama currently streaming on Netflix, features an ethnically diverse cast telling an LGBTQ+ story. The film stars Afro Latin actress Nia Fairweather as Jennifer Ortiz, a woman who is visited by an angel who shows her what her life would’ve been like had she followed her heart and pursued a same-sex romance with her childhood friend. [NBC]
- Brazilian producer Rodrigo Teixeria (Call Me By Your Name) has filed a motion to have a lawsuit against him dismissed. The lawsuit was filed in October by Teixeria’s former business partner Luiz Mussnich, who is accusing him of running a pyramid scheme and stealing millions of dollars. [Variety]