CineInforme is a weekly film and television news column that keeps you up to date on the Latinx stories happening on the big and small screens. From casting choices to studio briefs in Hollywood and beyond, CineInforme is your one-stop-shop for film and TV updates. Swing by every Friday to make sure you don’t miss the latest happenings.
Here’s your glimpse at what’s going on:
- Actress Tessa Thompson (Sylvie’s Love) has launched her own production company, Viva Maude. She also signed a two-year deal with HBO and HBO Max to executive produce projects based on the novels Who Fears Death and The Secret Lives of Church Ladies. [Deadline]
- Actress Salma Hayek is partnering with executive producer Jennifer Schuur to develop a project for HBO based on Elizabeth Wetmore’s novel Valentine. The story is set in the town of Odessa, Texas, during the mid-1970s and follows the aftermath of a brutal crime. [Deadline]
- The revival of the 1990s teen comedy Saved by the Bell has been renewed for a second season by Peacock. The cast includes Latinos Haskiri Velazquez, Alycia Pascual-Peña and Mario Lopez, who reprises his role as A.C. Slater from the original sitcom. [The Hollywood Reporter]
- Actress Tessa Ferrer (TV’s Grey’s Anatomy) has landed a role in the upcoming basketball-themed drama Swagger for Apple TV+. The series is produced by NBA All-Star Kevin Durant and producer Brian Grazer. Swagger is inspired by Durant’s experiences playing youth basketball. [Deadline]
- The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences hired Fernando Garcia as its executive vice president of member relations and awards. He will lead the Academy’s internal engagement and outreach efforts and oversee Oscar submissions, nominations and voting. Garcia will also work with the Academy’s Office of Representation, Inclusion and Equity. [The Hollywood Reporter]
- Camila Cabello will have to wait a bit longer before she debuts as one of the most popular Disney princesses ever. The Cuban Mexican performer’s version of Cinderella has been postponed for release until July 16. Bippity Boppity BOO! [Deadline]