After eight months behind bars, UFC legend Cain Velasquez is going home – for now.
On Tuesday evening (November 8), Velasquez posted a bond after a judge set his bail at $1 million. The UFC heavyweight champion had been in jail since February 28 after he allegedly fired a gun at Harry Goularte, a man he accused of allegedly molesting his 4-year-old son. During the encounter, Goularte’s stepfather, Paul Bender, was shot and survived.
“I feel great,” Velasquez told the media. “Just feel blessed, you know? Ready to go home, be with the loved ones, the family, friends, and make something positive out of this whole situation.”
Velasquez added: “Just thank you to everybody who had my support. I love all of you. Just, always continue to be better as a person, always do good things, just make something positive of this terrible situation. My family and I, we’re going to do that.”
Over the last eight months, Velasquez had been denied bail on three occasions. One judge said he posed an immediate threat to Goularte, his family, and the public. On Tuesday, another judge, Arthur Bocanegra, agreed to the $1 million bond and cited that Velasquez did not have a criminal record and did not think he was a flight risk.
“Mr. Velasquez, I would not release you if I was not convinced that upon a release at this time, eight months later, that you would be a danger to Harry Goularte primarily, Patricia Goularte, or Paul Bender,” Bocanegra said. “If you are as devoted a husband and father, I’m confident and have to believe you will not jeopardize anything that would take you away from your son, your daughter, your family. I hope you don’t prove me wrong.”
Velasquez still faces ten charges, including attempted murder. While out on bond, he will be confined to house arrest and must wear an ankle monitor. He must also undergo treatment for possible CTE symptoms.
Velasquez is scheduled to return to court for another pre-trial hearing on November 21. A trial date has not been set.