CineInforme is a weekly film and television news column that keeps you up to date on the Latinx stories happening on the big and small screens. From casting choices to studio briefs in Hollywood and beyond, CineInforme is your one-stop-shop for film and TV updates. Stop by every Friday to make sure you don’t miss the latest happenings.
Here’s your glimpse at what’s gone on this week:
- Will a remake of the classic 1986 sci-fi flick Short Circuit introduce audiences to a robot named Johnny Cinco? Reports are that Spyglass Media Group has hired screenwriters Eduardo Cisneros and Jason Shuman to pen the script about a robot, Johnny 5, that gains human intelligence when it is struck by lightning, and then escapes a military lab. Cisneros broke the Mexican box office in 2013 with the Eugenio Derbez comedy Instructions Not Included. Both Cisneros and Shuman wrote the upcoming comedy Half Brothers about two estranged siblings, one from Mexico and the other from America, who reunite for an adventure. [Variety]
- Actress Diane Guerrero (TV’s Orange Is the New Black) was cast in the Buddy Holly biopic Clear Lake. Holly was a rock ’n’ roll musician in the 1950s with hit songs like “Peggy Sue” and “That’ll Be the Day.” Clear Lake is the city in Iowa where Holly last performed a concert before dying in a plane crash alongside fellow musicians Ritchie Valens and J.P. Richardson (“The Big Bopper”) in 1959. Guerrero will star as Holly’s Puerto Rican wife, Maria Elena. [Variety]
- The TV drama In Treatment, which ran for three seasons on HBO from 2008-2010, is making a comeback for its fourth season and has cast actress Liza Colón-Zayas (The Purge: Election Year) in a recurring role. She will play Rita, a friend of the show’s main psychologist, Dr. Brooke Taylor (Uzo Aduba). On TV, Colón-Zayas was last seen on the Peabody-winning series David Makes Man. [Deadline]
- Actor Antonio Jarmillio (Mayans M.C.) has joined the cast of FX’s Snowfall for its fourth season. The crime drama is set in Los Angeles in 1983 during the start of the crack epidemic. Jarmillio will play Oscar Fuentes, a Tijuana police chief, who is willing to turn the other cheek and allow Teddy (Carter Hudson) and Gustavo (Sergio Peris-Mencheta) to make their deals in Mexico “if they make it worth his while.” [Deadline]
- Producer, actress and activist Olga Segura wants to find more Latinx content creators to join the entertainment industry. She will lead the new venture called the Latina Talent Incubator. Segura is the co-founder of The Latinx House and of the digital platform She Se Puede with Eva Longoria and America Ferrera. [The Hollywood Reporter]
- Actress Zoe Saldana (Guardians of the Galaxy) was cast in the Netflix time-travel movie The Adam Project from director Shawn Levy (Night at the Museum series). Saldana, who was last seen on the big screen in Avengers: Endgame, will play a fighter pilot and the wife of actor Ryan Reynolds’ character. [Slash Film]